If you have been following my blog you would have noticed a theme. One I love taco’s and two I seem to love these bowls lol. But I have to admit when I found this recipe I couldn’t resist and had to give it a try. I was so glad I did, and if you like the sweetness of the Sweet Potato and a little heat then this is definitely one for you!
I would love to have your feedback on this bad boy! Maybe you have a recipe you’d love to share?
Here is the recipe for SWEET POTATO TACO BOWL
- 2 tbsp chili powder*
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika (feel free to use hot smoked paprika if you like extra spicy)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional, very spicy)
- 1 lbs (454 grams) sweet potatoes, peeled and copped into 1-2″ cubes (approx.)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lbs (454 grams) ground Chicken ( or you can omit)
- 1 14 oz. (330 ml) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, either from can or 2 ears of corn (shucked and kernels removed from ear)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved OR 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In a small bowl mix together chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic power, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
Toss sweet potatoes pieces with vegetable oil and half the seasoning mixture from the small bowl, about 2 tablespoons. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender and cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook beef over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes until cooked through. If necessary, drain any large quantities of fat from skillet, leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add beans and remaining seasoning mixture from the small bowl. Toss to fully coat beans and beef with seasoning. Continue to cook until beans are heated through.
To serve either place all ingredients in separate dishes for family style serving, or make individual bowls before serving table.
Serve with any desired optional garnishes (sour cream, jalapeños, sliced green onion, chopped cilantro leaves, lime slices, crumbles feta, etc.).