One of the plus’s to Winter is getting to eat wholesome comfort foods like this one. Doesn’t it just look as scrumptious as it tastes?! Well it’s the perfect Side dish to any meal like Turkey etc. As well as being healthy too!! Enjoy this recipe and let me know what you think?!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium (7 ounce) sweet potato, peeled and spiralized
- 1 pound carrots, 1.5″ in diameter, peeled and spiralized
- 1 ½ pounds whole butternut squash, peeled and spiralized
- 2 medium (7 ounces total) parsnips, peeled and spiralized
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 3 teaspoon all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour for GF)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9” x 13” casserole dish with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, carrots, squash and parsnips.
- Add the olive oil, 1 tablespoon thyme, oregano, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Transfer to prepared dish and roast for 40 to 50 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter and let it melt, add the shallots and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the shallots to make a roux, whisking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk and stir with a wooden spoon until the roux is incorporated into the milk.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
- Add fresh thyme, parmesan and half of the grated Gruyere cheese into the white sauce and stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Pour over the veggies and top with the remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes. Top with remaining parsley and serve.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 4
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 176
- Total Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Sodium: 277mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 6g