Ok aren’t these the most adorable?! I saw these on my Beachbody website and I had to share!. What a great way to fun with healthy eating, instead of take out why not make these instead. Hey maybe even get the kids to help? the recipe is pretty simple and I can just see the faces your kids would make out of the peppers lol.
- 4 medium orange bell peppers
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- Ground black pepper to taste; optional
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce, no sugar added
- 1 cup black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Slice stem end off peppers. (Reserve for later use.) Remove seeds and veins from peppers. Cut a jack-o-lantern face out of one side of each pepper. Stand peppers upright in baking dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until almost browned.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, pepper (if desired), tomato sauce, and beans; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add rice; mix well.
- Fill peppers with turkey mixture. Top with reserved stem end of peppers Add water to the baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake peppers for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
- Remove stem top of peppers, sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Replace tops and serve.