An old favourite of my mom’s and Hubby’s is this recipe for Swiss Steak. I haven’t made it in a very long time. Let me tell you it did not disappoint. Mom even ate most of her plate. I always thought this was a complicated recipe, but truthfully this recipe is pretty darn easy and the steak was so tender! We didn’t even need a knife. If your looking for comfort food and in a healthy version this is the recipe my friends. Enjoy!! Now you can easily substitute for rice or mash potatoes. Funny thing was that my hubby had rice and my mom had mash potato lol. Those two will never change. Here is the recipe, please enjoy !
Easy Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
- 1 1/2 lbs round steak
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (10 oz) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional, see note below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a meat mallet, pound meat to 1/2″ thickness.
- Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, pepper & salt to taste. Dredge meat in flour mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a sauce pan. Brown steaks on each side (adding additional olive oil if needed). Set aside.
- Place onion & carrot in the bottom of the crockpot. Top with browned steaks.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch. Cover and cook for 2.5-3 hours. on high or 6-7 on low
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
If you’d prefer a thicker tomato gravy, after cooking remove beef from the pot. Combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water.
Bring liquid in the pot to a boil. Stir in cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened.