This is one of those all time favourites, especially with fall fast approaching and we are looking for comfort foods. Why not have a healthier version so it doesn’t weigh us down and still tastes amazing! My family especially my daughter’s love pasta and I was always making the traditional style lasagna, but when I started my healthy journey of eating better foods and portion control I didn’t want to miss out on one of our favourites. As well as sneak in some greens to make up a part of my veggie intake. I am always on the lookout or hunt for new and exciting recipes and this one fit the bill.
Here is how I made this delicious recipe :
- For the filling:
- 1½ cups park-skim ricotta cheese or I have also used dry cottage cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of excess liquid( I have also used fresh spinach and chopped it up finely)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For the remainder of dish:
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked ( Optional – whole wheat noodles)
- Parsley or basil leaves, slivered, for garnish
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the filling:
- In a small bowl, stir together all of the filling ingredients (using only ½ cup of the mozzarella and setting the remainder aside.)
- For the remainder of the dish:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinara sauce and spices.
- Spread a ⅔ cup of the marinara sauce mixture in a thin layer on the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna roll-ups, lay a lasagna noodle on a flat surface. Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to measure out the filling for each noodle. Use your fingers to gently press the mixture into a thin, even layer across the entire lasagna noodle. Gently roll up the noodle from one end of the noodle on the short side. Be careful not to press too hard.
- Place the lasagna roll-up, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish and repeat until all the lasagna noodles are filled.
- Pour the remaining ⅓ cup of marinara sauce over the tops of the lasagna roll-ups. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese on top of the roll-ups.
- Loosely cover the baking dish with aluminium foil, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil, then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, basil leaves and Parmesan cheese if desired.